Vacation

I've been off work for a week... today back in the office. It was nice to be away - wonderful, in fact. I've decided I'd make a really good retired person. Over the last couple of days I've been thinking about why I don't want to be at work anymore. It's not the job. It's not really the people either (although some are more annoying than others). I think the issue is this: I used to think that my job equaled my purpose in life. As much as I enjoy it, though, it's not a reason to live. It's not ENOUGH for me.

So, realizing that, I am faced with the daunting task of figuring out what my life IS about. I would say it's about relationships... but I'd venture to say that most people I know would be just fine without me. Which begs the question: Are my relationships what they should be? Probably not. What do I do about that? I have no idea.

It could also be about "serving God" - but that's so trite and vague I won't even dignify it with a response.

So then I wonder if my sister is right: Life is about being happy and having fun. Hmm. That doesn't seem quite right to me either. Because that means if you're not happy and having fun then you shouldn't exist.

There's the perspective I read about a couple of months ago: life is about showing people what God's kingdom is really all about - i.e. mercy, love, grace, etc. Ooookay. Easier said than done.

I guess the bottom line is that I want to know my purpose in life. And I want it to be easy. Ha.