Grapevine

The longer I work in Grapevine and research the area for genealogy the more connected I feel to this area. I can sit in the parking lot at lunchtime and look through the trees at the Moorhead Branch Creek and just imagine how it was when the Gideons and Hudgins first came here.


I can imagine them riding their horses past the Terrill-Payne-Fuller house (which is the oldest house still in existence in Grapevine - built 1865) on their way to the Methodist church. I drive by it now on nice paved roads in my air-conditioned Korean car. It's been recently refurbished after the passing of Alice Fuller and is now on sale - fully furnished - for $499,000. Click here for pictures.


I've been researching the cemeteries of Northeast Tarrant County in my (so far fruitless) quest to find Gaylon Bohave Gideon's final resting place. What I've found is that there are cemeteries all around that I never knew existed. Many are abandoned (hopefully the bodies were moved to a peaceful place). But some are still there. I've been driving by the Payne Family Cemetery every day for the last five years and never knew it. It's on the Nash Farm property.

It's like being on a genealogy road trip every day over the lunch hour! I really love this place. If I could move over here - even though I'm not that far away in Euless - I definitely would!

Comments