Lonesome Dove

The other day I was looking at some church records from Bear Creek Baptist Church (which doesn't exist anymore) and came across a "Brother Gideon" who visited from Lonesome Dove Baptist Church. The entry wasn't dated, but most of the others were around the 1850-1880 range, so I'm assuming this visit was during that time period. Anyway... this precipitated a search for Lonesome Dove Baptist Church, which is still in existence and has a cemetery associated with it. So today's lunch trek took me across the city limit into Southlake for a visit to Lonesome Dove.

As I've mentioned before, as I drive around this area I see signs all around me of the lifestyle that used to be here... before wealth and prosperity began to push the old out to make way for the new (and sometimes ridiculous). Driving down Dove Road is a prime example. You cross areas that are still heavy with underbrush, where it seems the Texas wilderness wants to reclaim its lost territory. In other places, it's so developed that you can't imagine a place without brick, concrete and trimmed grass.

Lonesome Dove takes you back at least a few decades to before Southlake was "ritzy." The church building is nice, but dated compared to some of the homes around. The cemetery isn't nearly as beautiful as Bear Creek, but it still has its fair share of old headstones.


I can see the family lines who made this place home... the Cates, Jones, Dwights, and others. But no Gideons in this place. At least not buried here. I didn't see very many unmarked graves, so I'm fairly comfortable stating that the Gideons are not here.

Interestingly, there were several above-ground graves... at least partially above-ground. I haven't seen many of these since our trip to Georgia, but there were several here. Unfortunately the inscriptions were mostly worn away.


Driving back, I passed areas where old wooden fences were encroached upon by new ones... saw the rise of the Gaylord Texan in the distance... and wondered once more what our ancestors would think about this place now. How much has changed in only 150 years!

Comments