The End of Life As We Know It

NOTE: When I was writing my Torn blog, I realized that I had written, but never posted this one. so I went ahead and posted it, even though the election is over. It still applies...



The thing that bugs me more than anything else about political campaigns has very little to do with the candidates. What irks me is how people overreact to everything. I know that choosing leadership is important. But I wish people would put it in perspective. It's important, but it's not the end of the world. I believe in a God who can make good out of any situation. I also believe we live in a country that is stronger and more resilient than a lot of people give us credit for. For example, I recently received an e-mail that contained this picture:


Really? If the America you live in is so weak that the presence of one man in the White House is going to destroy it, then maybe it's not worth saving. Apparently the people of Stagecoach Enterprises (not to mention many other people I know) have very little faith in America. Luckily, the America I live in is full of resourceful people who go to work every day, support their families and support their country. They help each other and believe in one another and are really, really smart. So I really don't think one man is going to take them down. 

More than faith in America, though, I think the belittling of others and the extremist predictions reveal a very real lack of faith in God... A fear that God can't make good out of any circumstances. I know who I'm voting for, and I know who many of you are voting for. But I don't have fear over the outcome. I know that regardless of what happens, we're going to be okay. There may be legislation that we disagree with. There may be laws passed that make our blood boil. We may get angry or scared or inconvenienced. But ultimately it's not the end of the world. 


So I'm wondering... seriously, what is the very worst thing that could happen come election day? The very worst thing that could happen is that your chosen person loses. Compared to people who are fighting cancer, fighting wars, being abused, living in poverty, going to bed hungry, dying of curable illnesses, dying of incurable illnesses... compared to all that, the worst thing that could happen is not so bad.

Here's what I think. I think America can come and go. I think politicians can come and go. I think disease and poverty and issues can come and go. What is constant is people. Whether we are Americans or Kenyans or Italians or Russians or Mexicans... we're all people. And so far, people have survived through a lot of crap. Romney or Obama... it's not the end of us.

Comments