A New Thing


This is one of my favorite graphics I've created over the past 13 years at FUMC Grapevine. It was for the launch of a new worship schedule, which always makes people uncomfortable. I still loved it. I loved the fresh feel of sprouts coming out of the letters in the font. I loved the dirt that keeps you grounded and reminds you that new things aren't always tidy. I loved the promise of what that plant would be or do or produce when it grows up. I loved the bright points of light in the background, each with their own possibilities. And, I loved Isaiah 43:19... partially because of the question it asks: Do you not perceive it?

Sometimes it takes a while to perceive - or acknowledge, anyway - a new thing. Sometimes we fight it... deny it... avoid it. And sometimes we throw wide the door and run through. For the past few weeks, my door has been thrown wide, and I'm running through to a new thing. The dates are now firm, the plans in place. So, now the announcement (drum roll)....

I'm moving! I'm leaving my job that I've loved, my peeps who have become like family, and my home which has been my sanctuary. My next journey begins with a long road trip with my parents and dogs to join my sister in Albany, New York. We'll be there by Labor Day. The parentals will come back to Texas; I'll stay.

I'll be living with Kef for a while, until I've had enough time to decide whether to put down more permanent roots (i.e. buy a house). I'll look for a job, and maybe enjoy not having one for a little while. I'll explore this historic area, brake for every cemetery possible, hike to waterfalls, sit on the patio in a cool breeze, watch Meg discover chipmunks and Maya discover lightning bugs (she'll be terrified). For the first time, I'll live through four real seasons. I'll eagerly watch the leaf report on the evening news, and make plans to go see the glorious changing colors. I'll look forward to being cold, and then hopefully it will ease up about the time I get tired of it. I'll discover what flowers thrive in Zone 5, rather than Zone 8.

Many of you reading this are people I know from previous renditions of life... people who I never imagined life without. It was hard to part with you when I did... but so far we have survived. Others of you are my current peeps. I see you almost every day... cry with you, laugh with you, complain with you (I'm just sayin'). I'll miss you tons. The good news is... we have ways to keep connected. You'll still get to see pics of pups and flowers and cemeteries and food.

The other good news... you can come visit! There's a stream in our yard.

And more good news... I'll get to reconnect with previous-life-peeps too.

It will be new and exciting and bittersweet, but mostly sweet!

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland."
Isaiah 43:18-19

Comments

Unknown said…
I love every word, every thought, every happy anticipation!
Cyndi 55watson@gmail.com said…
Beautifully said to God be all the glory love it my sister
Anonymous said…
Amazing! Your graphic is terrific and new adventures await you. God bless you. BTW, I hear from people from my church who came from upstate New York that it really gets cold up there! Ann Adell
Unknown said…
Beautiful words. You will leave a big hole in our hearts, but I’m excited and happy for you and the new adventures that await you. Sincerely wishing you all the best. You are so deserving of it. Don’t forget we have a date in 2023!!! Latvia Song Festival!! Julie Croft