Yes We Can!

I'm almost speechless... almost. Last night was one of the most amazing moments of my lifetime. There are three times in my lifetime that are noted as "remember where you were" moments: when the Challenger blew up (I was in band), 9-11 (a Tuesday morning - work and staff meeting), and when Barack Obama became President (I was sitting on the edge of my cushy chair). Of those three moments, last night is the only one that isn't noted because of its unbelievable death and destruction, but rather because of its hope and promise for the future.

I grew up in a house where dating outside your race was prohibited. You wonder why I'm single today? It's because there were no white boys in my town. I never got to learn how to date... to be in a normal relationship. The only relationship I was in during high school had to be kept a secret from my parents. What I learned about relationships at that pivotal time in my life was how to make sure no one ever knew about them. Wonder why I'm screwed up and afraid of commitment?

But watching Maya Angelou this morning on the Early Show, I felt such compassion for those who have truly suffered from racism and discrimination... the real victims who endured (and still endure in some cases) real suffering. Like Dr. Angelou, I feel so proud to be an American today, because today we (my generation especially) have taken a stand and said enough is enough. We are ready to move forward, and we're going to drag everyone else with us kicking and screaming if we have to! Think we can't do it? Oh, yes we can!