The Derrick Family

A few weeks ago I wrote about "Mysterious Myrna." In the course of pursuing that line of inquest, I found myself on the phone for almost an hour with Harvey Derrick. Harvey is the youngest son of R. H. Derrick, Myrna's first husband. He's what I would call a "cowboy poet" and musician in his retirement years. Although Harvey didn't know anything specifically about Myrna, he was happy to know that I had in my possession a number of photos of his family over a 30ish-year period.

Here's what Harvey had to say about his father:
Your pictures are of my Dad, me and my brother Don. Dad was born in March 1900 in Marnard, TX and everybody called him "Tex." These pictures were probably taken in 1949 when my dad picked Don and me up at his sister, Lottie's home in Granbury, TX where we had been living for a few years. He was living in Tulsa, OK at the time and that is where he took us. He was married at the time and I can't remember what his wife's name was... If I remember correctly, my Dad told us he was married 7 or 8 times and to my and Don's mother two times.  Her name was Billie Dean Kifer, from Cushing, OK. The only one of his other wives's name I remember is the last one he was married to.  Her name was Hazel.  They were still married when Dad died in 1960.

Although I don't know anything more about Myrna's time with "Tex" Derrick, I'm happy to know that the letters and photos from Myrna's album have now been shared with the Derrick family.

Harvey shared some of his music with me. He is currently selling an album to benefit a local animal rescue organization in Oklahoma. Check it out...

Harvey's Links:
NEW: Dogs Don't Care If You're Ugly CD:  www.cdbaby.com/cd/harveyderrick
NEW: Dogs Don't Care If You're Ugly Video (Susan Owen videographer): www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSW4L5M6Rbw
Let's Not Forget Our Veterans Video:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJl7V2Z4pJo
Harvey Derrick & Friends CD: www.cdbaby.com/harveyd or www.mytexasmusic.com/harveyderrick
My Veteran's Help Projecect Web Site: http://lets-not-forget-our-veterans-project.bbnow.org/index.php

Comments