Drum Roll, Please...

Here it is... the moment we've all been waiting for! Many of you have been as eager as I to discover where I'll land next... and probably just as many are ready for me to get on with it already. I'm overjoyed to say that we're all getting what we want! I'm starting a new job and you all get a reprieve from reading about the in-between!

So, the winner is.... Emma Willard School! I am amazed beyond reason that I'm going to be working on the communication team at the "first women's higher education institution in the United States" (Wikipedia). It started out as higher education in 1814, and is now an all-girls high school. The girls can board or be day students. There are many students from other countries as well.

Growing up in a small town in West Texas, I never knew about boarding schools. I didn't have the benefit of Harry Potter to fuel my imagination about what going away to school might be like... at least not as a teenager. I did, however, have an amazing on-campus experience in college, living all four years in the dorm and wishing ever-after that we could have just built a commune to keep living together forever. I think of Emma as providing girls the opportunity to experience what I did at McMurry, just four years earlier.

I have often thought that I would like to work for an educational institution, just not as a teacher. (No comments from the peanut gallery about my tolerance for munchkins.) I'm really looking forward to seeing what amazing things Emma has to offer their students. I can imagine that the possibilities are limitless, and I hope to be some small part of molding this next generation of female leaders in our world. It's going to be... epic!

As you can imagine, after over 200 years in existence, Emma Willard is steeped in tradition. It speaks to the very soul of my history-hunger. I'm going to love every minute of walking through Emma's historic halls, supporting a new generation of young ladies as they build on those traditions and make them their own.

One of the most exciting things about this new adventure is that the comms team is all new. The head just came to Emma this summer, and she's hired myself and one other young woman to complete the team. We are going to have so much fun and experience all manner of new things together!

I'm sure there will be a million and one pictures of the Emma campus that I'll get to share... the amazing Gothic buildings (circa 1910) will be stunning in all seasons. But for now I'll whet your appetite with this birds-eye view of the campus, situated on Mount Ida in Troy.


Comments

Unknown said…
'So happy for you! Emma Willard School looks like a lovely place.