All Over the Map

My thoughts are just bouncing from one random thing to another this afternoon. I'm putting a "Thank You" note in E-News from a man whose wife just died. I'm not dealing with anything near that dramatic/traumatic, and yet I complain at any opportunity.

Random thought - I cut a guy off in traffic this morning just to teach him a lesson about speeding and "crossing the double white line" when you're not supposed to. I'm sure he noted said lesson and will never do that again.

Back to what I was saying... After a conversation with Armando, I find myself playing the cynic. He comes to me about trying to draw out the spiritual aspects of our activities in some way. After some conversation, I realize that this sounds strangely familiar. Like it was the "Communications Goal for 2009" that I submitted to Ken a couple of months ago. How quickly I get lost in the STUFF (nice word) that has to be done and lose all desire to pursue that goal. Armando asks if I don't ever consider the spiritual aspects of the things I'm putting out there to the congregation. I say I don't have time. I have to get the facts out there. And then when I get home I don't want to think about it at all. This is why work is not spiritual for me. This is why I have to get my spirituality elsewhere. Of course it's probably also why I'm burned out on all this STUFF.... which in theory is all great. But in practice just makes me weary and leaves me wondering where God is in all this. Remember that question I asked a few months ago? What does this have to do with God? Well I can answer it in a roundabout way. But the practical, uber-busy side of me never has the time to. Reflecting on the spiritual aspects of the 200 ministries that are fighting - LITERALLY FIGHTING - for attention around here... that's just not something I have time to do. I would hope that most people can see the correlation between the two all on their own. Otherwise they'd just go to some other non-religious entity to do their volunteering.

Ugh. I just don't want to think anymore.

I also don't want to go to Curves this afternoon, even though I promised myself that this was going to be the week I'd get back into the routine. At the moment, though, I have a killer headache, feel kinda feverish and just want to go home and lay on the couch and listen to MY PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA tell me that working together we can all get it done. And there IS hope. Sidenote: I'm really tired of being surrounded by conservatives. If you're even remotely middle-of-the-road or liberal-leaning... please be my friend!!

I bow and thank you for your time. Wrist-wrist-beauty-queen-wave... and I'm back to work.