The Journey

This morning I went to church at First Methodist in Colleyville for the first time. The pastor was starting a series of sermons about the journey of Christian life. Was it a coincidence that just yesterday I was reading about one man's journeys through Texas?


A man named Barclay Gibson has spent the last few years wandering Texas and photographing what he sees. I found his outsider's look at Lorenzo interesting (http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasPanhandleTowns/Lorenzo-Texas.htm). What would you take a picture of if you were going through your town for the first time?

Maybe if we looked around us with new and interested eyes, we might come to appreciate what's right in front of us. Part of the sermon this morning was focused on enjoying the journey... not being afraid to backtrack a little... not being so solely focused on making it from point A to point B. That's how I'd like to live life, actually. I'm not so concerned about point B (i.e. death)... it will come when it does. But what about the living to be done until then?

After church and some other wandering around, I found myself hunting for Bear Creek Cemetery... wondering if we might eventually find our long lost cousin Galen Bohave Gideon's final resting place. This little cemetery was so enchanting... so peaceful in spite of the airplanes overhead and the golf carts whipping by just across the fence. But sadly there were many, many young lives entombed and memorialized there. I wondered if it was because of the view of the golf course.

I didn't find any sign of Galen or any other relatives, but I did find yet another special connection to the history of this area and its people. I'd like to explore more and take Mr. Gibson's lead by chronicling the area's history in pictures. Hopefully I'll get moving on it before I reach point B.

Comments