A Season to Settle

When I wrote that title just now, I decided settle might have a bad connotation. I don't mean settle for less than the best; I mean come to rest. So I went to thesaurus.com for some alternatives. I had to laugh out loud when one of them was "plop."

A season to plop. Mmmmkay.

We've just enjoyed a long visit with my parents, who decided that fall was a much better time to come to New York than Christmas. On the plus side, they came early enough that we could celebrate dad's birthday together. On the unfortunate side, the fall colors really haven't peaked yet. So they didn't get a fall color fix, even though we tried.

It is, however, very definitely autumn. The temperatures are much cooler; the heater even kicked on when it got down to 37 degrees the other night. Every day when I go to work, there are new trees starting to display the tell-tale golden hues of letting go.

I, too, am starting another season... one of settling in. At the end of the month, I will be closing on the house that I found to love in Troy. It's just around the corner from work and just right for me. Although I had visions of buying an old character home here, I discovered that cute-on-the-outside didn't translate to right-on-the-inside. My new home is cute on the outside too, but traditionally cute rather than historically cute. The first thing Kef and I will get to do is pull up the carpet in the original part of the home to reveal the hardwood floors. I'm excited to see what we find!

This has been a pretty stressful time with all the ups and downs of choosing, negotiating, logisticating (that's not a word, but I like it), and arranging... I'm more than ready to plop. I'm going to plop down on my couch that took me years to find. I'm going to plop again on my big green comfy chair and plop my feet up on its matching round ottoman. I'm going to plop on my own bed, and on my guest bed, and on the super comfy chair that was in my office in Grapevine. I'm going to plop a quilt on every surface. I'm going to plop down at my dining table that was Great Aunt Myrna's.

There's still a fair bit of work to be done before I can get comfortable in my new digs, but there is hope on the horizon. I'm looking forward to the Christmas-morning-surprises that I'll find in my boxes that have been in storage for a year. It will be exciting to remember all of these things that I love and why I loved them enough to keep rather than donate them.

One of the things I love about my new workplace is how positive everyone is. The kids are constantly sharing messages of encouragement with one another. One group decorated all of the sidewalks a few days ago, so I leave you with this one little image to brighten your day (house photos will come after I've made it my own).


Comments

Jessie sjue said…
Congratulations! How exciting and then you will have room for more visitors! Yay for you girl!
Unknown said…
Oh, I'm so happy to read that you are settling in and will soon be plopping down on your couch!