Everything Changes

My last post was about my own post-mortem, and this week I'm neck-deep in the grief of Ken Diehm's post-mortem (he chose cremation by the way). My boss, leader, pastor, mentor, friend passed away last Saturday. Suddenly. Unbelievably.

I can't begin to explain the effect he had on people. We expect thousands at his memorial service. But for me, he was an inspiration. He taught me to take a deep breath and not over-react. He was calm and tolerant. Slow to anger. Sometimes it frustrated me because he never got worked up about the things I was worked up about. But over time that helped me to learn that everything was going to be okay... that whatever the big issue was, it wasn't the end of the world. 

When hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, Ken led the church in opening up our apartments to be transitional housing. Pictured below is one of those "refugees" - a chef who was serving us some jambalaya. 


Ken was joyful. He laughed easily and often. He loved a good joke. Pranks. Spoof videos. Funny commercials. The Big Bang Theory. Teasing people. Being teased. The last project he worked on was an "answer" to the recent Doritos Super Bowl commercial where the guy was sprinkling crumbs over dead stuff and bringing it back to life. If only that really worked. But it does in a way... because the pews where Ken sprinkled those Doritos will be full to overflowing this weekend.


One of Ken's greatest legacies may be his work in Kenya. He brought Kenyans to the forefront of our consciousness, showing us that even just a little bit of our effort could make a huge difference in their lives. Since his first visit to Kenya, we have built solar-powered computer labs, decreased the drop-out rate in our partner schools to almost zero by feeding meals, provided medical equipment and procedures, provided water wells and sponsored over 200 children orphaned by AIDS. We have partnered with churches, missionaries, hospitals, schools and co-ops to improve the quality of life of people in their villages and give them hope for the future.


Ken touched many lives and everyone has their own favorite story about him. But my favorite story about Ken is just the story of his life. He was committed to his family, kept good boundaries, worked tirelessly for the poor and underprivileged, led with ease and encouraged us to be creative. Over time, he carefully put together a collaborative team that worked well together and fed off of each other's strengths. The last book he had us read together was all about change. How fitting.

When the grieving is over, we'll have a lot to do. Ken gave us his passion and now we have to find our own way and continue his good work... and even find our own good work to do. We have to lead our church into the overwhelming change of a new pastor, hopefully a visionary in his or her own right. 

I'm thankful for the time that I enjoyed sharing life and work with Ken. I still can't believe he's gone. Over time, the reality will become our new normal. The one thing Ken would want us to do is trust. Trust that God is going to take care of us. That good will come out of tragedy. That there will be new growth and new life that come from the seeds he planted. I do trust in that. I believe it wholeheartedly. Ken would want us to laugh, to live, and to serve others. Let's do it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I heart you...and hug you...and bring you squeaky toys and squirrels and geckos and bright eyes and bushy tails
Anonymous said…
Well said Melissia.
Elyse said…
Very well said, Melissia. Dr.D (as Lonnie called him) had a gift of loving everyone and was an amazing leader. It still does not seem real that he's not with us anymore. No one can replace him.
Elyse Hahne
Anonymous said…
Thank you for sharing your insight and may it help others as they process whatever trials they are encountering. You are blessed and you are a blessing!!
Rick said…
Melissia, I appreciate this well expressed tribute to Ken. I am honored to serve on our church staff with you.
Kathi Shaw said…
What a beautiful tribute, Melissia. Your words and pictures truly captured the wonderful, fun, reverent man that he was. He left an imprint on our lives and on our congregation in a way that people who didn't know him cannot begin to understand. We'll just have to show them...
Anonymous said…
Thank you for such a beautiful tribute to such a wonderful man. I have been an actual member of this church for about 5 years, but I starting attending this church 15 years ago. After many life changing events, I was lead back about 9 years ago. Ken was the main reason I stayed. I am not super-involved but help when I can. I try not to miss a Sunday morning. I did not know Ken on a personal level, but we both recognized each other in the grocery store or at ProCuts. :) I could not figure out why I was so very sad until a friend helped me realize that in this nutty, crazy, insane life of mine......the 55 minutes on Sunday morning gave me COMFORT....I did not have to be "Mom" or "wife" or "teacher"...I was just me.... and Ken said things that made ME want to be a better person...to help people that could not help themselves. I will miss him. I am scared of what will happen. I love my church. I will pray that God will send the right person. I will pray for that person because they have a mighty big spot to try to fill. :)