On Second Thought

I can't shake the feeling that my last post about Chick-Fil-A was naive and largely missing the point. I feel guilty for eating at CFA, and it's not because of the calorie count in their food (I don't count calories anymore and I couldn't be happier about it). It's because my conscience is telling me that social justice trumps happy tastebuds. Ugh. I just hate that little cricket in my ear that tries to be my guide.

This morning I was reading my blog feed. Alise of Alise Write wrote a compelling item about why she does not patronize CFA. It didn't have anything to do with the beliefs of the CEO, but rather with the monetary support that the company has given to an organization that participates in anti-gay hate speech. Read the post here.

I have no first-hand knowledge of the causes CFA supports, nor do I know what most of the companies I frequent support. But IF it is true that CFA supports hate speech, I don't see how I can - in good conscience - continue to eat there.

A few years ago a video was released that exposed the animal cruelty that takes place at the places where Kentucky Fried Chicken gets their chicken. I haven't eaten there since. It made me physically nauseous. I loved KFC, but I couldn't stomach their cruelty. Can I seriously say that it's easier for me to stomach cruelty to HUMANS than it is for me to stomach cruelty to CHICKENS? I joke about liking animals more than people (it's true, really), but when it comes right down to it... I really do like people.

Maybe I am the one who is not taking the CFA issue seriously enough. Maybe I have to find it within myself to allow the humanity in me to outweigh my desire for this yummy food (which I really really love). Maybe today is the last day that I'll eat CFA for lunch. Maybe the recipes I've found online will closely compare to the real thing and I'll be able to get my "fix" anyway. Maybe.

Comments