The Right to Be Fat

Obesity. This particular issue is something that hits close to home for me. Not only have I been overweight all my life, but many of my family members and friends are as well. As I look back on my life, I can point to several instances in which I was insulted for my weight. I have often been told that I would be happier and healthier if I was thin. And there's no shortage of messages that tell me (and everyone else in the world) that fat is bad and thin is good. But in reality, fat is just a description, not an indictment. I'm brunette, with blueish eyes, and lots of fat.

Recently, I have become aware of a group of people called "Fat Activists" who are working hard to convince the world that fat is okay... That fat people are people too... That "declaring war" on obesity is declaring war on actual people. It's the new [old] discrimination. In fact, it's one of the few ways in which the general population thinks it's okay to discriminate.

Something that troubles me greatly is that our First Lady Michelle Obama is spear-heading the attack on a group of people of which I'm a member. I wonder if she realizes that her "war" is hurting people.

One of the fat activists I follow is Ragen Chastain. She has opened my eyes about this issue and helped me to understand that hating yourself because you're fat is counter-productive. I have read many of here posts, her book, as well as the book Health at Every Size by Dr. Linda Bacon.

Now, of course, this is not really a political issue at its heart. But because the First Lady is anti-fat-people, it has become a political issue for me. It's also a healthcare issue. I pay 150% health insurance premiums because of my body-mass index (BMI). My blood pressure is picture-perfect, as are my blood sugar, cholesterol, and all other provable indicators of good health. I am the first to tell you I could be healthier because I don't exercise enough to have great flexibility, stamina, etc. But I'm still healthy, even though my BMI is very high. But I still pay extra premiums (and have for 7 years) because of my weight.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so I'm just going to post some links to key articles on Ragen's blog that may be enlightening to my readers. I know they were for me.
  • BMI was never intended to be a measure of good health. "Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet devised the BMI equation in 1832.  He created the formula to be used as a statistical tool across large populations, he never intended for the number to be used as a measure of individual health.  When people say that BMI is a poor measure of health, that’s not accurate.  The truth is that BMI is not a measure of health at all." read more...
  • "You may be healthy now, but eventually it will catch up with you." People say this a lot. The truth is, everyone dies. But regardless of what kills me, someone is going to say it was because of my weight. I can live to age 103, have perfect stats, perfect blood work, etc. but as long as I'm fat, my fat will be blamed for my death. read more... 
  • "Are we doing enough about obesity?" You've done plenty. Quit already. read more...
  • Fat shaming sucks. Do you realize how many anti-fat messages there are all around us? You may not think about it (especially if you're not fat). But I would encourage you - if you're my friend, if you love me - each time you hear or see one, think of it as an "anti-Melissia" message. read more...
  • Pay attention to what you think is funny.  I am guilty. I have laughed at those "People of Walmart" pictures. I have said "oh my!" to a picture of a particularly fat person (even though I am one). I've been convicted, and I'm trying to repent. read more...
  • Fat people cost more. That's just silly talk. There have been some studies that have suggested that. But if you take a close look at the studies (as Ragen Chastain has), they are silly in and of themselves. read more... and here... 
  • Diets work. No they don't. read more...
  • War? On me? What did I do? Nothing, but there's a war on me anyway. read more...
  • Reasons to stop focusing on weight are HERE.
Well, I could go on... but that's quite enough reading. I've already read them all, and don't have any idea whether anyone else will care to. So I'm stopping there. 


Note: This is the sixth in a series of posts about my thoughts on social, political and moral issues of the day. Read others: #1 - "The Quest for Clarity" | #2 - "Choice? Life" | #3 - Money Money Money | #4 - Exceptionalism or Superiority? | #5 Wuv, Twue Wuv

Comments