Remembering Floyd

My boss's father passed away on Sunday. For most people, that would just be an event of note because it's your boss and you should care. In this case, however, we all knew him. Floyd followed Ken in his ministry. Literally. He moved here when Ken did, following his son from church to church since Floyd himself was retired.

The first time I met Floyd, he told me how wonderful his son was. He said Ken was a great preacher - perhaps the best he'd ever heard. Floyd told me, though, that I'd need to work on Ken to get him to come up with sermon titles.

Little did I know at that point that Floyd would become my biggest fan. Until he fell ill, Floyd came into my office at least once a week and heaped enough praise on me to make up for any frustration a job might entail. He complimented me incessantly. I could do the most simple of things, and he would rave.

To be quite honest, I'm having a very hard time not being selfish about Floyd's passing. I know that he meant so much to his family and to all who encountered him... but what about ME? Who's going to give me compliments now? Who's going to practically frame the printed version of E-News? Who's going to reassure me that I'm a miracle worker?

Well, I guess no one is. And I suppose that's okay... since no one did before I knew Floyd (at least not as regularly as he did). But I just have to say that I'm really going to miss his encouragement and compliments and adoration. Selfish, maybe. But true.

Floyd L. Diehm Obituary

Comments