A Different Life

After a conversation with someone yesterday, I began to reflect on how much I personally have changed since moving to the metroplex. The things that defined my life in Lubbock are no longer the norm. I'm not involved with Emmaus. I don't know any people in my demographic. I don't volunteer to work with children (for pay or otherwise). I never give spiritual talks or lead small groups or reunion groups. I rarely paint or sing or play the piano. I don't write feature articles. I don't make agape or go to the movies or take day trips to sled on sand dunes. I'm generally not the life of the party or the one doing the planning.

So who am I now? Am I all about work? Well, not really. I still like to write (but don't do it often). I've added genealogy to my interests, but that's a fairly solitary endeavor. I hesitate to volunteer for things. I don't lead spiritual activities. I go straight home from work most days... Meg needs to be let out. Most of my friends are married (or once were). I tend toward reclusiveness. Is that what comes with age?

I'm having trouble deciding whether I like this new person or not. I certainly have different beliefs now... I'm more open-minded and question more than I ever did before. I enjoy my job and my home and the people around me. But I'm not sure this metroplex me is the best me there is. I need a better groove... more productive, more eclectic, more well-rounded, more social. But most days I just want to sit on the couch after work and snuggle Meg.

Comments