COVID.

I can't even believe I haven't blogged since last October. I haven't written since I closed on my house on Halloween, dressed like a jester (Emma Willard's mascot). I haven't written since the movers came with all of my stuff just as I was recovering from a stomach bug. We've had friends' Thanksgiving at the Horn-Eldred home in Holland, and Christmas Eve in my new house, and Christmas Day at Kef's house. We've had Revels at work (a crazy, fun holiday tradition), and launched ourselves into 2020. I got into a rhythm of going to work and coming home and settling in. 

In January sometime, there were news reports beginning about a new virus that had started to spread in China. This had happened before with bird flu and swine flu, and I really didn't think much of it. As time marched on, the reports became more dire. They were having to build more hospitals. What?! Since we have a large population of Chinese students, it started to become evident that it might not be safe for the kids to go home over spring break (two weeks in March). Then, as the virus began to spread outside of China, it became evident that school-sponsored international spring break trips shouldn't happen.

We started making signs reminding people to wash their hands. We started timing songs to determine how long 20 seconds of washing actually was. We started distributing hand sanitizer. People started hoarding toilet paper, and you couldn't buy disinfectant wipes.

By the time spring break actually arrived, all of us, employees and students alike, vacated campus. The virus, known as COVID-19, became a global pandemic, shutting down economies and bringing everyday life to a grinding halt. We have been working from home since March 13. It is now August 9. I honestly can't believe I haven't blogged this whole time.

COVID has been a terrible time for the world... so many deaths and so much upheaval and anxiety. It's a little embarrassing for me to admit that it's been a relatively positive time for me. Since the pandemic, I have leaned in to my introversion... staying home all the time, having groceries delivered, watching church online if at all. At first I was binging jigsaw puzzles. Then I took up quilling and have been pairing that with Netflix. My 5-minute commute to work now involves pulling my hair into a ponytail—it's long enough to do that because all the salons have been closed. It's been nice to get off work and just walk in the other room (but my lack of exercise is starting to show). I've enjoyed laying in my hammock after work and enjoying the fruits of my labor... flower beds dug and planted where none existed before, a long-forgotten slate patio now uncovered. Kef just called to arrange an afternoon waterfall-hunt. We've been doing that quite a bit too. 

Most businesses are starting to reopen now (restaurants for outside dining and a few inside), but I have still been receiving everything either by delivery or by quick grab-and-go stops. It's been an odd time in general. For some reason this morning I became aware that I hadn't written about any of it (not publicly, anyway). So... figured I'd better record a bit for posterity. Writing just hasn't been on my radar, although this would have been a really great time to do more of it. 

Comments