Down the Social Media Rabbit Hole

This morning I was watching a series of TED talks on diversity in preparation for an interview at an organization that provides training on workplace diversity and inclusion. As I was absorbing these words of wisdom, I began to reflect on my own circle of influence (which includes you, dear reader). This brought me to my trusty friends list on Facebook. What I found was that most of us share a very similar demographic. There are a few from other countries, a few from other races, but the vast majority are people very similar to me.

We share the same culture, and similar backgrounds... on the surface. Yet when I think of each person on that list, I think of what makes them unique. I am reminded how we first met. Some I was born into knowing. Some I've known since Kindergarten. Some I met literally yesterday. Some speak a different language than me (some more than one). Some I've never met in person (though most I have). Some have a very unique family lineage, and others don't know where they came from at all. Some are executives, some are farmers, some are teachers, some are students, some are retired. Some are moms or dads or wives or husbands, and others are none of those things.

All are dear and precious and loved.

And all at one time or another have made me laugh. And enter the social media rabbit hole.

One such lovely friend posted a video this morning of someone dancing to Blanco Brown's "The Git Up." Now, if you know me well, you know that I have never heard that song before. My Sirius has three stations saved: 60's, 70's and 80's. Period.

So, of course my curious mind had to find out if this song was real, or if the person dancing in this video made it up. I googled some of the lyrics (I thought "cowboy boogie" would be a good place to start) and spent the next few minutes down the Randy Travis rabbit hole.

After confirming that this was not Randy Travis singing, I went back to my google results and learned how to do the "Cowboy Boogie" line dance, which is not the same as what my friend's video showed.

Ultimately, I had to try a different section of lyrics to learn the identity of the true artist. And then I found all of these challenge videos. I spent probably the next hour watching children and cheerleaders and police officers and regular 'ole people do "the git up." I listened to Blanco Brown talk about how he wrote the song.

And then, you guessed it... YouTube sucked me further into the rabbit hole. There, gleaming with its tantalizing brightness, was a video of Jimmy Fallon and Blake Shelton playing "name that song." I watched Blake, and then Pharrell. Then I listened to the songs they named that I didn't know.

Finally shaking myself out of it, I got back to business and checked my email. Waiting for me was my news source "The New Paper" which I mentioned the other day. It had a story about a change of leadership in Turkey and said that the current leader was "Turkey’s most dominant politician since its founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturk." And again I was down a rabbit hole, researching the history of Turkey. Ataturk came to power in 1923, in case you were wondering.

I did eventually get some productive things done today. But, boy I tell you. That rabbit hole is something else.

I felt I'd come full circle when Kef called me up to watch two brothers on So You Think You Can Dance because they were so entertaining. More dancing, more laughing, and more opportunities to tangent into new and interesting worlds. Love rabbit holes.

Now, just so that you won't feel left out... here, in all its glory, is Blanco Brown's "The Git Up" tutorial. You're welcome.


Comments