Writing Every Day

I've often wondered if I could manage to write a blog post every day. There are a lot of people these days who monetize their blogs and make good money becoming influencers. I don't know about the influencing, or the monetizing actually... but I do think it would be a good habit to write every day.

This is not a new concept and has been taught by many, including our favorite Dr. Cindy Ryan, who has given us all the tools we need to be an every-day journaler. I have failed miserably. I see the value, and I have the desire... but I have not been faithful with daily writing. If I can't be faithful in personal journaling, how in the world would I be successful writing a daily blog?

I suppose, like anything, you have to make it a habit. I've often heard that it takes a month to build a habit. Google now tells me it's more like 66 days, on average. Either way, I have been an every-day writer for at least that long at times in my life. And yet, I still fell out of the habit.

Now blogging, certainly, is different than journaling. Your journal (hopefully) will never be read by anyone but you. At least not without your permission. Blogging, on the other hand, is open to the world. And if you want people to read, you have to have something of substance to say. Every. Time.

Which begs the question, what do I have to say today? It's been a relatively uneventful one (except for Pippa chewing up the box that my sister's new ceiling fan was in)...

We had the HVAC worked on because the condensation pump was leaking into the mechanical closet.

It rained, and I stood under the deck watching Marguerite, the bird who lives on the top of the support post right outside my door. If I talk to her, she flies away, so I try not to say much so as not to disturb her.

I cleaned stains in the carpet with Kef's new Spot Bot (love it).

I captioned a video about the state of the crops in Oklahoma after all these uncommon rains (they're doing well, all things considered). I learned that milo is another name for sorghum.

I subscribed to a new (to me) media source called The New Paper, which promises to make the day's news quickly digestible and fluff-less. The first edition was delivered today, and I found it informative and simple, as promised.

I was reminded that today is the summer solstice, the longest day of the year. The Alzheimer's Association is having an awareness/fundraising event around it called "The Longest Day," and my friend Josh Ingram is playing all day as a part of it (you can watch it on Facebook live).

Hmm. I guess I know a lot today, and the day's only half over. It's random, and perhaps not interesting to anyone but me... but if you read yesterday's blog you may have gotten the bug to diversify your interests. Maybe I could just write a daily blog about what I've learned. I would probably have to change my blog theme, since I don't learn something genealogy-related every day. I guess I could just call it a stream of consciousness blog, and then no one would have real expectations regarding content.

Might just try that, at least until I have to go to a real job every day.

Image credit: https://pixabay.com/users/comfreak-51581/

Comments