Surviving Winter

It's hard to believe that my first winter in New York is about over. I feel sure there will be another cold snap or two, but mostly I think it's over. There is no snow on the ground, today is about 70 degrees, and the trees in the yard are thinking seriously about leafing out.

In some ways, I feel that life has been in a bit of a winter hibernation as well. Because I didn't find my fit in a new job before winter set in, it feels like I've been holding out, waiting to bloom too. I'm anxious - not nervous, but anticipating with great excitement - to see what will be next. There have been a few possibilities pop up, and one in particular still simmering. I feel that it's seriously thinking about leafing out too, but it's not ready quite yet. I'm trying not to rush it. You can't force a flower open, or a leaf from a branch. You just have to wait.

In some ways, I think I'm very good at waiting. I have a lot of great hobbies and things to keep me busy. I'm not especially antsy to leave the house; being at home feels comfortable to me. Along the way, I've learned that I will make a very successful retired person. I'm engaging myself in things I love, and volunteering a little bit... but not too much.

It's been a lovely season of pause. Yet, I'm ready to get going again. I'm ready to engage in meaningful conversations about causes I feel passionate about. I'm ready to sit in a room with people who have a goal and/or a problem that I can help fix. I'm ready to help.

This first winter was nowhere near as traumatic as I feared it might be. I quite loved it, actually. Sure, it was cold. My part of the house was cold. But I have lots of new sweaters to wear now, and there's always a place to warm up. I'm lucky in that way. (Tangent: As I was leaving dinner with a group of ladies last night, a man asked if I'd be willing to give up the leftovers that I was carrying so that the homeless could have them. I was taken aback, but something he said really struck me... "It's just food." Of course it is. I handed over my chicken picatta, and wondered what the person receiving it would think. Had they ever had chicken picatta before? It makes me think... about how lucky I am to have chicken picatta to give away, and how lucky I am to always be able to find a warm spot to be, even when it's really cold outside.)

Not only did I make it through winter, I really loved it. And I really enjoyed having what someone in my new circle here called a "professional pause." Love that.

Now, to hit play.


Comments