Fireflies

I never recall seeing fireflies in Texas. I'm sure there probably are some, but perhaps I always lived in the city or in the dry plains where they don't thrive. This being my first summer in New York, I'm enjoying the play of fireflies in the yard at night. Kef says this is her favorite time of year... fireflies in Mason Wood, stars shining bright in the heavens.

I wondered today why fireflies glow, and so I read a little bit about their biochemical phosphorescence. The purpose is to attract a mate, as is most of nature's over-the-top display of light and color, it seems. I didn't realize fireflies were in the beetle family, but looking at them in the daylight I can see the resemblance.

One thing I have found is that it is almost impossible to catch a good picture of fireflies... but artwork captures the spirit.

"Fireflies in the Night" by eliz.avery is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0 

Comments

Anne said…
https://www.texasmonthly.com/article/the-flight-of-the-texas-fireflies/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Web+Social&utm_content=fireflies