Home for the Homeless?

If there's one thing that intrigues me, it's an ornate old building. I always want to know what it once was, especially if it has fallen into disrepair. I want to know the story and see the pictures (both then and now).

I first heard about the Albany Almshouse, or home for the poor, when mother and I were touring the New York State Museum shortly after I moved here. They had a display there about the people who died there. They had even reconstructed the faces of a couple using their skulls, and were able to somewhat describe what life would have been like for them. Many were buried in basically a mass unmarked grave, the exact location of which is unclear. News reports a while back said that it was on what is now Albany Airport property.

Fast-forward a few months, and I saw a news article about how the Ann Lee Home, which was the later-given name of the Albany Almshouse, was to be used to house homeless veterans. It was last used as a county nursing home, but had fallen into disrepair since it was closed in 2008. The veteran organization, called Soldier On, has a 50 year lease on the property... But it will take $30 million to renovate the building into livable apartments.

Fast-forward again to last week. When I was leaving the Ann Lee Pond after my painting class, I drove through the old Shaker Historical Site since I hadn't been there before. As I turned the corner to skirt around one of the old Shaker buildings, a large decaying brick building loomed in front of me. I had just come upon the site of the Almshouse, the neglected Ann Lee Home. Let's just say this is not a place I'd like to "happen upon" at night. It's foreboding.


Housing for veterans is a great idea for reusing this site... but how long will it take to renovate? I haven't seen news about it since late last year. I just hope that it can once again be restored and used to serve those who find themselves in need.

You can read more about the history of the Albany Almshouse in several places, but one interesting site recalls the story of many "poor houses" across the country. It even includes a listing of those who died at the Albany Almshouse. You can find that site at www.poorhousestory.com or go directly to the page about Albany's Almshouse.

Comments