TOV

Shannon and I used to write notes to each other during class. (Yes, we were in college. What's your point? Note-writing didn't die in Junior High.) We had a lot of little sayings that we'd use in regular conversation, and many of them required a certain tone of voice in order for you to get their true intent. When writing rather than talking, we'd put "tov" in parenthesis when using one of these words or phrases. That was my signal to him that I wasn't actually asking "Really?" but being sarcastic... Really? (tov)

In other words, read those words with the tone of voice you know I'd be using if we were talking. There are so many uses for tov. "I'm winning (tov)" is different than "I'm winning."

I can't remember now all the phrases we added tov to (Shannon probably can... I wish I had those notes handy so I could look back). But there are many times when I'm writing that I feel the compulsion to add tov. Before, only Shannon would have understood. Now you're in on it too.

The reason I was thinking about tov today was because I subscribed to a newsletter by Ann Handley, an award-winning content-creator. In the first e-mail, I immediately noticed her tone. It was very different than most business writing. It was as if I had received a note that was passed in class. (There's another one... "as if (tov)" is very different from "as if.") Ann was wordy and sarcastic and we were immediately friends, even though I don't know her. She didn't have to use tov for me to "get" her. (Later, I was cyber-stalking Ann because I'd never heard of her and should have. I watched a video and found that her mannerisms remind me of my friend Amanda. So I guess I do know her, after all.)

I think it's a gift to be able to reveal yourself to people through writing. I often wonder if people who don't know me will get my sense of humor or my sarcasm or my rambling jumble of thoughts. Most of you who are reading this know me in real life, so you already know what to expect. I like to think that newcomers would get a pretty good feel. They'd catch what I'm throwing, wouldn't they?

One thing I've read recently, though, is that most people either think they can write or they think they can't write... and both are usually wrong. I'm guessing that's true for most skills. If you think you're good at something, consider that you might be wrong. Likewise, if you think you're bad at it, you may not be. (One of my favorite sayings is, "I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.")

So, in order to not assume I'm a good writer or a good communicator or a good fill-in-the-blanker, I've taken to watching and reading... a lot. LinkedIn Learning is an amazing resource for this (for both practical and theoretical skills), as are the ubiquitous Ted Talks (for more inspirational theoretical learning). It's shocking how much you don't know about things you've done your whole [professional] life. Try it. Just Google a topic you know a lot about and check out all of the blogs, articles, videos, etc. that can teach you something more.

I'm comforted now... knowing that I can either become a better writer to communicate my tone, or I can just phone it in with "tov" and you'll still get it.


PS - I love these images by Robin Higgins on Pixabay... they cover every possible emotion using this one, very-expressive model.

Comments